Good stuff on the hangout. I’m not offering much analysis here. Just highlighting a few things that stood out to me.
In addition to PSFK co-founder Piers Fawkes, the hangout included:
- Aziz Ali (PSFK contributor)
- Rachel Schectman (Story)
- David Polinchock (AT&T Adworks Lab)
- Chase Jarvis (Creative Live)
- Jonathan Ford (Pearlfisher)
- Ari Kuschnir (mssgpeces)
- Traditional e-commerce sites opening physical stores.
- Metrics change from sales/square foot to community and experience
- People shopping both channels
- Older brands innovating the in-store experience. Ex: Banana Republic & Gap offering a coffee shop or manicure. Time is biggest luxury
- Learning has to be social from the ground up
- Educational institutions will lose students if they don’t transfer themselves into more immersive online experiences
- Future is about casual, social, mobile education. Bloated degrees no longer necessary. Skill-based focus will grow. Barrier mostly in the mind.
- Defined by the artifacts we leave behind.
- The challenge to education and retail institutions is the erasing of artifacts
Think about this: Successful brands of the future will be the ones that give you something that helps you optimize your life
FINAL THOUGHTS/WHAT’S AHEAD
Ari Kuschnir (mssgpeces)
Tictrac: tracking all your activities in one place. Feels like it could happen next year. Can us it to spot correlations by making a dashboard your life
Jarvis (Creative Live)
The era of context. Google glasses. Photography. Building context. Brand or healthcare. What is our relationship with our surroundings? That’s what we’re looking for. Let’s sew it all together
Going digital this year. Bringing offline retail to life
Polinchock (AT&T Adworks Lab)
Google glasses as an example of “One-line,” not online or offline. Cool when we can overlay data onto the real workd we’re already in. Google Glasses
One Medical Group example. An example of technology and people filling in where traditional municipal and political institutions leaving a void
Fantastic time for design. Design fundamental part of creating clarity and tangibility. His projects: Smart people thinking about new approaches.
Well done, Piers!